Butterick 4767 dates from the 1960s. If I had to guess, I'd say mid-to-late 60s. I love the pattern because I love the shape of the dress; it seems modern and fresh even though it's over forty years old! It could easily translate into today. It has an almost mod-like feel.
The (very worn!) pattern envelope says that the "full, double-breasted shirtdress has notched collar and self belt. Full length shirt sleeves gathered into French cuffs."
The dress is unlined, which makes it looks (deceptively?) simple to sew. The pieces are simple--a front, back, upper collar, under collar, sleeve, cuff and belt, plus front and back facings. I mean, *I* could handle that--maybe?
At a size 12 (B 34) my hunch is that this dress was for my aunt in her late teen years. I haven't had the chance to ask her yet--maybe she'll remember! It could have also been for my grandmother's daughter-in-law.
I love the wide, dramatic-looking collar! I think this one would make My List if it weren't for the fact that it's double-breasted--not a good look on me. But it's definitely a favorite, and I love the pattern envelope--back in the day when women were still wearing hats and gloves (though both these ladies have removed their gloves in a casual manner)--and I am particularly keen about the hat on the right. That's some hat! I think she looks French, with her jaunty hat and cropped hair. A bit of je ne sais quoi, n'est-ce pas?
No comments:
Post a Comment