Monday, September 27, 2010

McCalls 6316


I love this dress.

McCalls 6316 probably dates to the 1940s. The pattern envelope is practically in shreds from spending decades in a hot, semitropical attic, but the pattern is intact, and it is wonderful.


McCalls didn't include descriptions of the dress way back when (at least not on this pattern), so you have to go by the photos. Both views feature a fabulous squared neckline, with a sort of ruching at the side of the neckline. View A has short sleeves and is embellished by a fabulous bow. View B has three-quarter length sleeves, and Version C is on the back with long sleeves. A belted waist and what appears to be an inverted pleat on the skirt finish the look. I love the bow-embellished version of the dress with a passion unspeakable. Makes me wish I could wear belted frocks!


The instructions are all on *one* page. Sixty-plus years ago, the pattern companies expected you to know your stuff.

The pattern, size 16, B 34, is cut and complete--all *seventeen* pieces, right down to the teeny tiny skirt stay. Amazing! I have to list the pieces--the bow (which is ginormous!!!), waist back, waist front, waist front facing, waist fold, skirt stay, belt, skirt front, skirt side back, skirt back, front yoke, *three* shoulder pad pieces, and the three sleeves--short, long, and three-quarter. Whew. Are you tired yet? I am!

As usual I find the pattern envelope drawing completely charming. Lady B is wearing a bracelet over her glove. There's a low cocktail table to her right with a tea or coffee service, just waiting to be used. Both Lady B and Lady A are wearing hats and peep-toed shoes, one of my favorite kinds of shoes. They must be at a luncheon, or afternoon tea. See how they see someone they know? They're talking about her--but not in a bad way. Or maybe they're just making idle conversation while determining who else is in attendance. Perhaps they feel a little awkward. I think maybe Lady A is new in town--perhaps she's wondering how long she can keep up the small talk?

But I don't think Lady B is worried about anything. If I had the confidence to wear a hat like that, you better believe I'd never worry about chitchat at ladies' luncheons.

No comments: