I'd love to see hats come back into fashion. And I love the idea of making your own hats. This pattern, which appears to date from the 1950s, contains two patterns for hats and a clever little bag pattern. View 1 contains a head-hugging hat with soft pleats in the back. View 2 is a 'helmet-style' hat trimmed with soutache braid. Unfortunately, you cannot see View 2 because the pattern envelope here is badly aged and apparently dissolved into thin air some time ago. However, So Vintage Patterns has a photo of the pattern envelope that is far better than mine. See? It is helmet-style!
It's always fun to gingerly open up the envelope and see what pieces were cut--and envision what my grandmother made. But this time when I opened the envelope, I found a surprise: the pattern is totally complete (including the transfer!) but uncut! Makes me wonder...why didn't she make something out of this? Daunted by the complex-looking instructions? (I am.) Running short on time with a young family? (I am.) I never knew my grandmother to be daunted by a sewing pattern, but who knows?
Regardless of the story behind why she did not make it, something about Hat View 1 charms me. (Maybe it's the back? See it here--on the left.)
I don't think it will make My List, but it has come close!
No comments:
Post a Comment