Last time I posted about a great pattern, the double-breasted, belted Butterick 4767. And if you want to know how that dress pattern translated into real life--read on!
My dear aunt writes--
Butterick 4767 was my dress. Mama and I called it my coat dress. It was made in a linen, woven type fabric that had 'body.' It was beige and had shiny gold metal buttons and a gold belt buckle.
Love it!
I wore it with the prettiest brown slingback shoes. The shoes came from Bob Ellis on King Street, downtown Charleston. I remember the day we bought them. Mama and I looked in every store on King Street before I found them. Daddy teased that it took me longer to find the shoes than it took Mama to make the dress.
Every girl knows a pair of shoes can make or break a dress! Clearly she was hunting the perfect shoes for a good reason....(and I love slingbacks! I bet they looked super with this dress.)
My boyfriend went to the University of North Carolina and I was invited to Homecoming. Back then students dressed up for Homecoming, boys wore suits and girls wore church-type clothes. This is the outfit I wore that day....fall of 1967, I was seventeen.
I am not a football person, but I think I'd be more keen to watch if I knew I could get a glimpse of clothes like this in the stadium. What a great autumn dress for a football game--beige, with brown shoes, and gold buttons. Breezy but very appropriate. So pretty!
1 comment:
How wonderful to have the chance to capture some of the real-life history behind this dress!
Post a Comment