Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Vogue Individualist 2027 & McCalls 2835

Yes, I am posting a Vogue pattern my first week. But don't start getting too excited just yet. This is a designer Vogue pattern, but--it's 80s. You might love it, you might not!

My grandmother lived between 1917 and 1997. She had three granddaughters who came of age or were young girls in the 1980s. So patterns from this era are inevitable.

However, I will go ahead and make a Solemn Vow right now: I hereby vow that I will not do more than one 80s post per week. {Note that I found the loophole in this right away by slipping a second pattern into this post--but I'll keep the vow.}

Today's patterns are gems in their own rights, though. The first is Vogue 2027, featuring a design by Claude Montana. And lest you think that this is some cowboy designer, think again! He's French! He's real! His website is here!

When I first saw this pattern I laughed; it was so eighties. (Copyright 1988!) So awful! But after looking at it a while longer, it began to grow on me. The top is "semi-fitted...(very loose-fitting through bust), has collar, dropped shoulders, shoulder pads, low armholes, lower side front and side back seams, (no side seams), concealed snap front closing and long, two-piece sleeves with button vent and stitched hems." Wow! It also includes patterns for cuffed (of course) pants and a straight skirt. But the real scene-stealer here is the top.



The size of the pattern is 12 (bust 34, waist 26.5, hips 36). The size and the dating on the envelope made me feel sure that my grandmother made this for my cousin, who was about 18 or 19 in the late 80s. I emailed my cousin to ask about it, and she wrote back that she thought it was made for her, but couldn't remember what color "but for some reason peach is sticking in my mind." I can actually envision my cousin in this, in peach--is it just my imagination, or do I really remember this garment?

All I remember wearing in the 80s are clothes like McCalls 2835 features: bulky sweaters, tube socks, white keds, and....*stirrup pants!* I love the slinky addition in View A. Timeless--unlike those stirrup pants.



This pattern was printed in 1986 and is a girl's size medium--so I'm fairly sure those stirrup pants and baggy knit top were made for me. I was about a decade old, and definitely loved stirrup pants.

* * *

I did some searching and found a review of Vogue 2027 on my favorite pattern review site. And the top the reviewer made looks great on her! I was also astonished to see it listed on ebay at $30ish. The eighties live!

I could never wear this design because of uneven hips and shoulders due to scoliosis, and the fact that anything with a high neck looks *terrible* on me. (There is also the issue of skill, or my lack thereof, when tackling a Vogue designer pattern.) But if you absolutely adore Claude Montana's Vogue 2027, let me know. We can work something out. A Vogue designer pattern really should be owned and loved and sewed by someone--I own it, I love parts of it, but I know I'll never sew it. The top is cut, the skirt and pants are uncut, and the whole thing is complete.

Although if you want stirrup pants to sew for your 10-year-old daughter, I may have to intervene on her behalf.

1 comment:

Karissa said...

Oh wow!! Those patterns are so interesting. In fact, I'm loving your blog in general :)

When did you visit Finland? I can't wait until I can go! Your profile picture is awesome :D

-Karissa