This pattern is one of my favorites--three cocktail party tops. View 1 is short-sleeved with a scalloped, scooped neckline. View 2 has a scooped neckline. View 3 is a halter top with a bare back. But the pictures on the envelope are fantastic!
Gazing in the mirror. Demurely glancing down. Trying to remember if the party is at 7 or 8?
This is a vintage size 16 (bust 34). {Though note that the sizing of a vintage pattern doesn't really matter if you can follow instructions to re-size--I've not tried it yet, but one day!} Advance patterns aren't dated with printed dates, but this one was probably printed in the early 1950s, possibly around 1952.
In 1952, my grandmother was 35 years old and had three young children. Did she buy this pattern to make a top to wear to a party? For simple summer tops to beat the sweltering heat in Charleston? I wonder if she just made one, or all three; it's impossible to tell from the pattern, because it is unprinted and it appears to me all pieces were cut. My uncle was about nine, my father was three, and my aunt was two. When did she sew? At night? On weekends? She was only two years older than I'll be this year.
I'd love to make this top for my own 35th birthday.
1 comment:
This is a wonderfully original idea. I've never seen a family history attempted this way before. What a great catalyst. I could see it as a book. You definitely have to make the dress!
Post a Comment