Today's pattern shows 1960s diversity at its best: a blonde, a redhead, a brunette. And the blonde has *short* hair! A bob!
McCall's 8645 was printed in 1966 and features three mod dresses. I love the fabrics used on the pattern envelope. One is a very vintagey green-orangey-pink vertical stripe (at least it's not horizontal, whew!). Miss Confident Glamour in the middle is wearing a white dress with a floral pattern that looks like it was made by a crayola-wielding second grader--and I love it with her white patterned tights! And on the right--orange and white, with some pretty great orange mule-type shoes.
The description tells us that it's a "lined, three section dress, with zipper in center back seam, may be sleeveless or have long or three-quarter length set-in sleeves. All views have rolled bias collar. Sleeveless dress has lined patch pockets, cut bias, on upper left front and on left and right side of front skirt section. Three quarter sleeved dress has bias cuffs, lined patch pockets on skirt section extending beyond side seams. Long sleeves are gathered in contrast buttoned bands of collar fabric, and ends of bias tie are sewn to back neck under collar and tied in bow."
I like the middle dress the best. I'm a huge fan of the 3/4-length sleeve, and prefer a non-gathered sleeve to a gathered one. Even though I've professed my deep love of pockets, I'd omit the bulky front pockets. But I'd never wear this dress because I cannot wear a collar like that--anything jewelneck or crewneck just does not work on me.
This dress is a size 12 (B 32). Given that it is that size and was purchased in the late 60s, I am fairly sure it was for my aunt. She was born in 1950--so she was in her mid-to-late teens. I wonder if she chose a bright and funky fabric? Something with orange or hot pink? I hope so!
A tiny note at the bottom of the pattern says that daughters' matching patterns #8627 and 8635. I couldn't let that go.....so I found a jewel of a pattern. Look! at! this!
[Photo from Stumblepics.com]
This is the best thing ever. Not only are they little-girl mod dresses, they are all in the same fabric--and on the same colored-hair--as the models in the misses' dress pattern.
I love how contemplative the little blondie is.
If most mother-daughter matching sets were this mod and cool, I'd grab a little girl and start sewing away. Unfortunately most mother-daughter sets I see are more like this:
[sorry, Nikki Knits]
The mother-daughter-matched set can definitely be done and done well--and looking to a midcentury swingy short dress pattern in pops of orange and crayola pink might just be the way to go. Vintage fabrics are where it's at.


No comments:
Post a Comment