Monday, August 16, 2010

Butterick 6981

Butterick and I are not BFFs, because Butterick's vintage patterns are not dated! (McCalls was so great about that....)

This is a wonderful-looking pattern and I am guessing it dates from the early-to-mid 1950s, based on the style of dress and hair. Maybe late 50s? The price of the pattern is also low--50 cents. I'm no fashion historian--this is just my 'best guess' which is hardly even an educated one.

The neckline intrigues me. It's scoop, but the front bodice piece sort of overlaps, and does not meet the back bodice piece exactly, at the neckline. I love the straight lines of the dress itself.

And I *adore* the pockets. I dearly love pockets on a dress or skirt. My grandmother often put pockets into a pattern even when they weren't there, particularly when she was sewing for the grandchildren. Pockets are just so handy. The civilized lady might keep her handkerchief there, or a friend's calling card. The little girl might keep a found stone or broken robin's egg. Pockets are hugely underrated.



(Don't you love the lady on the left? She's wondering where she put her car keys. Oh yes! Here they are! In my handy little pocket!! The lady on the right is just happy to be wearing yellow, and I, for one, cannot blame her.)

The description on the back is classic! It reads: "Newest place for buttons....on your shoulders. Like many of the best casuals this one has a slim skirt with front box pleat, scoop neckline, cool cropped sleeves, and slanted hip pockets. The back is cut simply in two gores."

A FRONT BOX PLEAT! Heavenly.

This is a vintage size 16 (B 34) so I am positive my grandmother made it for herself when she was a young mother.

I wonder what she kept in the pockets?

1 comment:

angela | the painted house said...

I love this idea! Great way to catalog your treasures!