Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Simplicity 2968

Today's pattern is Simplicity 2968. It is labeled "Slenderette," which is interesting, because the size of the pattern is vintage 18 (bust 38). My hunch is that 'slenderette' patterns had to do with a design that might be slimming. I did some googling and it appears my hunch was correct!

But in the case of this dress, I wonder if that would work?

The wide neckline at the top with either two bows or the front tie would emphasize collarbones and shoulders, thus drawing the eye away from the lower body. That great seam down the middle would elongate the torso. My only hesitation is that belt and the blousing. Is blousing *ever* slimming?

The dress has "a bloused bodice with rounded neckline, kimono sleeves and a slim skirt with soft pleats at the front waistline and a back kick pleat. View 1 features a shaped tie collar. View 2 front neckline has a slit detail in seam. Dress is trimmed with ribbon bows and a belt."



More dresses need to be made with a sweet back kick pleat.

Ms. Slenderette (or Mrs.) is not dated, but I take her to be a late 1950s pattern. The women are still involved in glove-wearing. The lady on the right has a green bag *and* green shoes, which was de rigeur back then. (Does anyone know when that requirement faded away? I grew up in the South, and here it faded away in about 2002.) I am thinking maybe late 1950s because their hair seems a bit more 60's-ish. But this pattern could date from the early 60s. I'm not wholly sure.

The late 50s. Stylistically, I think things were going pretty well back then. To-wit:

Fabulous spider wall clock--



Nann Ditzel's wonderful furniture designs--like this pot chair

[image: Deconet]


A simple sofa--this one by Ercol Studio

[image: Retro to Go]


I want to live in a world of these streamlined designs. However, I do not think my grandparents were that trendy in terms of furnishings--but then again, I didn't sit at their dining table in those days....

Anyhow, my grandmother was a working woman, and by this time she had a teenager and two grammar school-aged children. She may have made this for work--don't you think this is a nice work dress? Capable, but feminine. Or perhaps she made it for church. The suggested fabrics range from calico and corduroy (!) to shantung and crepe. Maybe she had to attend a wedding, and she made it in silk.

All I know is that she did make it. The pattern is cut, and like everything I've encountered so far, it's complete. Organized woman! Her handbag surely matched her shoes at this juncture of life. As for me, I'll take a dress with a seam down the middle and a turquoise spider clock any day.

No comments: