Once again, Butterick drives me crazy by not dating patterns. I'll get used to it eventually, but for now I still love McCall's for having the foresight to print a date on each pattern envelope!
Butterick 3251 looks like it comes from the sixties--maybe early 60s? I am thinking so, based on the gloves, the haircut of Lady B, and the general look of the drawing.
This is a bloused dress with an oval neckline and darted straight skirt. It features a cord tie belt. View A has three-quarter length sleeves and view B is sleeveless. The pattern I've got is a size 16 (B 36).
The pieces are cut and the numbered pattern pieces are all there.
This has to be a dress that my grandmother made for herself, as I think my aunt was too young in the early-to-mid 60s to wear a misses' dress. I am betting that she made it for work--as a working woman, she needed wardrobing! And it would be suitable for an office. I'm no fan of a jewel neck, and blousing at the waist has never done me any favors, but some people look great in them! I think if the neckline were scooped it would make a world of difference to me. I personally love 3/4-length sleeves, and eschew sleeveless, but I love cap sleeves. This dress at Shabby Apple is sort of reminiscent of Butterick 3251--a modern twist and *with pockets!!!* I love that. Owning a crepe de chine silk dress that boasts pockets seems like the lucky matrimony of luxury and pragmatism--two things I dearly admire.
Who knows? Maybe my grandmother made her version in silk. And knowing her, she very well could have fashioned some pockets. She loved them as much as I do.
No comments:
Post a Comment