My grandmother would joke that Nanny changed clothes several times a day. I love this because it indicates purpose-driven dressing. Whereas I tend to cook, shop for groceries, and plant daffodils in essentially the same ensemble (with a shoe variation and of course an apron when the occasion demands it), Nanny chose completely different outfits for these very different tasks.
Every day she got dressed right down to her shoes. Stockings? Check. Skirt? Check. Ear-bobs? Check.
I was especially curious about her at-home attire. I remember her in floral dresses or, when we were attending An Event, in slightly dressier dresses or even a skirt suit (once, I think). My father noted that she wore the floral dresses most days; he was vague on details about these 'housedresses' (who can blame him? he's a man, I don't expect him to notice Every Last Detail!).
But I was most fascinated by his description of her gardening attire. He said "the only time she ever wore pants was when she gardened, and she wore something more like culottes, in seersucker, and a shoe with a heel."
A shoe with a heel? I pressed for more details. Turns out she was wearing something like a brown lace-up ankle-height brogue. Okay. I love that!
The conversation has inspired me to think harder about my own choices in dressing. Maybe I will bring back the purpose-driven dressing my great-grandmother embraced. Cooking in a floral wrap dress with an apron on top? Sure. Gardening in seersucker culottes and brogues, even if the neighbors laugh? Why not?! Bring it on.
(As an aside, I haven't been posting here lately because of my own little descendant. I'll pick back up more regularly once we've settled in with our new family. Probably summertime or autumn, once we have a routine down and our household renovations are winding down. Family and housework trump blogging! But I've got all sorts of delicious little girl dress patterns to showcase!)
2 comments:
Fascinating. My dad barely notices what I'm wearing when I'm in front of him!
OK, now I want to discuss this because I have changed my wardrobe since becoming a stay at home mother. I have good enough clothes that I can run errands and go to appointments without changing, but I choose the clothes carefully so I can launder them successfully and do housework comfortably in them. My husband, however, is a purpose-driven dresser (wait til I tease him about this!!!) and he changes several times a day. But then there are all these half-worn clothes all over the place - like, literally on his nightstand.
I wore culottes as a girl because my church forbade women wearing pants - and I needed to participate in gym classes and whatnot. If I saw the right pattern and made them in seersucker, I could see it. Seersucker makes everything better :)
"Purpose-driven dressing" - what a great phrase! I'm going to remember that one. :)
I think it's wonderful how you are honoring your family in this way, by giving new life and voice to old patterns--and more importantly, memories.
Post a Comment